Thursday, May 8, 2008

continuing my search on the method of discipline

I have found more info on the effects of "whooping"children or how researchers call it capital punishment or CP.I have learned that research has increased dramatically on this subject the last decade or so.I have gone to Google and Wikipedia and found interesting web site ("Discipline by parents and Child Psychopathology")for more info on my question.Twenty studies have found that CP is associated with the probability of mental health problems.Which means that if you "Whoop"your kids they are saying that they will have more mental problems.12 out of 13 studies found that CP is associated with higher delinquent and anti-social behavior,also that kids tend to approve more of peer violence.(Good,1999)study showed CP was also associated with suicidal thoughts,alcohol abuse,spousal abuse,and feelings of depression,(Mahoney,Donnelly 2000)also causes ADHD/disruptive behavior disorder,mood swings/anxiety disorder.But I have found something that contradicts these facts (University of Missouri 2001)found that if CP is associated with the child's culture mainly Hispanics,and African Americans then it reduces these effects greatly.They say because the child is surrounded by that type of environment so they accept it.There research says that if its in the child culture the effects are only higher rate of violence and delinquent behavior but does not lead to all the mental problems that other researches have found.I don't know now which one to believe because they are both very believable.I definitely still have much to find out. I am learning about a lot of things I did not know about I will be looking into the positives of CP.

_____

Douglas, Emily. "Discipline By Parents and Child Psychopathology." International Handbook of Psychopatholgoy and the Law 2007 14 05 2008 .

No comments: