Thursday, May 8, 2008

When Do They Start?

I always woundered what age do most teenagers start doing drugs. So I researched it on the Glae data base. I found out that last year, 13 percent of 8th-graders, 28 percent of 10th-graders, and 36 percent of 12th-graders admitted to using an illicit drug.(DOWN ON DRUGS) In 2006, 15 percent of 8th-graders, 29 percent of 10th-graders, and 37 percent of 12th-graders said they had tried an illicit drug.(DOWN ON DRUGS)

But I found out that the use of drugs in teens are decreasing. The decrease in drug use has been going on for years. Ten years ago, 21 percent of 8th-graders, 35 percent of 10th-graders, and 41 percent of 12th-graders admitted abusing drugs.(DOWN ON DRUGS)


Roberts, Alan. "Down on drugs.(Substance Abuse)(Brief article)." Scholastic Choices 23.6 (April-May 2008): 4(1). Health Reference Center Academic. Gale. McKinley High School. 8 May 2008
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see you are interested in finding out how many students have admitted they have used illegal drugs. Now i really doubt that the use of illegal drugs on teenagers are decreasing. It may be posted on the website but who knows how acurate the website or the person who posted it are. You wanted to find out when did most teenager start using drugs? You didn't answer that in ths post.

greeneyeboi said...

Yo thats crazy I cant believe that there are so many teenagers that do drugs.Now im gonna have to watch who I hang around.But on the other hand they say thats how many "admitted" they do drugs.Now you should try and find out how many actually do.Because some people do drugs but dont admit it so you should look into that...

Leek said...

I myself believe that percentages and numbers cannot truly or accurately tell how many kids are on or has tried a drug in their past. Kids can use drugs for a number of reasons such as to fit in with the crowd or for emotional issues that they face and i believe that all kids aren't 100% honest about their habits.

Roberto said...

I had an idea that it starts around 8th grade because thats when teens feel that they must fit in I have a lot of friends who started their habit 8th grade.