Thursday, April 24, 2008

What Parents Know: What Their Teens Are Doing

I started my research my finding out the risks of alcohol and drugs. Most teens know the risks because they learned about them in school or from their parents. So now I want to find out what parents know about what their teens are doing. 23% of teens amitted that they drank alcohol in the past 30days and only 1.6% of parents knew that they did.(healthfoundation)
I think that most teens hide that they do drugs or drink because they are afarid of being punished by their parents. I would consider taking drugs or drinking breaking the rules because I doubt any parents incurage their kids to do that stuff. A survey was took in 2005 by Child Policy Research Center of punishment when rules are broken. It was about even 29.6% of parents say they punish their children when rules are broken and 29.0% of teens say that their parents punish them when they break rules.(healthfoundation) But for the teens to break the rules they need to know the rules. 66.2% of parents say they set clear rules and 41.0% of teens say that their parents set clear rules.(healthfoundation) 82.5% of parents said that they talked to their teen about alcohol and other drug use in the past month but only 31.8% of teens said their parents talked to them in the past month about alcohol and other drugs.(healthfoundation)
A new research shows that parents influence their child’s likelihood of involvement with drugs, alcohol and risky sexual activity even after their child leaves for college.(Science News) I don't think parens influence their kids when they move away for college. But I do think that they influence their teens with drugs alcohol and sexual activity when they still live at home.



"Alcohol and Tobacco use: What teens are doing and what parents know." HealthFoundation. 04 25 2008. 25 Apr 2008 .

"Sex, Drugs And Alcohol: Parents Still Influence College Kids' Risky Behavior, Study Shows." Science News 02 11 2008 04 25 2008 .

2 comments:

Jamal said...

I think this a good subject do to all the added trouble caused by teens and alchohol . Teens and even pre teens are starting to drink and do drugs all at a younger age ... I enjoyed your facts and percentages it helps get a more accurate veiw on how much parents and teenagers actually discuss with each other.

frankaforty said...

All the statistics make for a good argument, but honestly, I feel that if the parent cared, they'd force thier child to do the same. Its truely a matter of how much is on the parents plate! I know parents that give thier children alcohol because iIm Italian, I happen to be one of them. At the dinner table, its cultural (italian) to have a glass of wine at the dinner table.